A Siklu Case Study: Abertay University
Abertay had been providing the residents in parts of its student housing facilities with fibre based leased line, but the 100Mbps capacity wasn’t handling the growing bandwidth demand, amid a proliferation of connected services.
Looking to upgrade the bandwidth to a full 1Gbps, Abertay faced limited options. Leased lines were the obvious choice, but were just too expensive.
Abertay University needed an affordable gigabit wireless solution. The benefits that the Siklu solution would bring to the University would be:
- Enough capacity to support multi-tenant dwellings
- Very affordable price per link
- Secure transmission over wireless
- Easy site acquisition and installation
The challenge was to:
- Expand capacity of internet access for student housing MDUs
- Needed an affordable point to point solution, leased lines were too expensive
- Security of the student transmission was extremely important
- Reliable ‘always on’ performance that would need minimal maintenance and truck rolls
A solution was specified that would deliver a gigabit of throughput along with high reliability and standards based, encrypted security.
The university was offered the Siklu Etherhaul-1200F solution, which meets its needs at a far lower cost than a leased circuit.
Siklu systems are so cost effective, because their radios are based on advanced technology. The radio is essentially comprised of just three silicon chips, which not only lowers cost, but improves reliability due to the small amount of components.
Abertay University has a cost effective and reliable system that meets all performance expectations. There are plans to roll out the Siklu solution to additional student residences.
“We’re glad we could help Abertay students get faster Internet access. Millimetre wave wireless links are a very cost effective fibre extension solution in dense urban areas, whether you need high capacity for multi-tenant units such as Abertay did, or are an ISP serving multiple buisnesses.”
Director of Product Management for Siklu